Tuesday, 19 April 2011
Lets start this post positively... I HATE BUILDINGS! Now that's out of the way...
I have painted this city continuing on from when the first town got bombed. It is all in different layers so it is easy to adapt it to the different time periods and hopefully will make the time lapse scenes easier. That's the plan anyway. It also makes it extremely complicated. I now only have a couple of city views from other angles which will be a lot simpler because they do not need to be on different layers. This means the majority of backgrounds are done now and just need tweaking. Hooray!
Saturday, 9 April 2011
I think I could bore you to death with all the backgrounds I've done as not many are vey interesting. Esspessially at the moment as they dont have the city in the distance yet. But here's a taster of the nicer ones. The others Steph is adding to the animatic as the scenes get coloured.
Thursday, 31 March 2011
Well a few backgrounds down, and about a million more to go. I have decided to paint the tree in all of them first and save the town for last. This should be interesting. Steph has done a test with the bigger background and found that it needs to be extended for it to work properly, which shouldn't be too much trouble. Best crack on.
Seeing as I haven't done an update for the Little Helper project for a while I thought I would put up a few examples of the textures I have painted for it. Hopefully they are nearly all done now. Lucy and Jenny have applied the textures and created bump maps from them. I painted them all using Photoshop, ontop of the UV maps Jenny and Lucy provided me with.
Sally will be furry, so all I needed to do was paint the different shades that the fur will eventually be. This meant that the joins in the UVs didn't have to be absolutely perfect.
Thursday, 10 March 2011
I have ajusted this background to fit the new layout and added a few tings that Kathy has suggested. I wasnt quite sure what colour to be the moss as there are so man different types. I can still change it if we decide its a little bright, but this one definatly looks better with the grass 'livened up' a little. Nearly got the final look. Now to apply it to all the ofter backgrounds.
Friday, 4 March 2011
Friday, 25 February 2011
This is my first attempt at a matte painting. I sketched it out roughly first to make sure it was what Jenny and Lucy were looking for. I then filled in the gaps adding more layers. I tweaked the lighting afterwards which wasn't ideal, but I needed the same shot at two different times of day. It could be more detailed but most of the time you cant really see it very well on screen. Hopefully it will work and I look forward to seeing it in the scene.
Monday, 21 February 2011
If I see another wood texture I think I shall cry... Anyway Jenny and Lucy have had me texturing for their project 'The Little Helper' for the last few weeks now. They send me a couple of the rendered shots and it is the first time I have actually seen my textures on the models in the scene. It is an interesting insight into what this project is going to look like finished as when you are painting a texture in a UV map it is difficult imaging how its all going to fit together. It hasn't all been smooth sailing though, like any project there has been problems. The biggest one being my laptop screen displays colours quite differently from Jenny and Lucy's screens. To get around this problem they created a stricter colour palette that I could drop from.
The texture for the scenes are nearly done and I am about to start doing a few more interesting textures and the matte painting for the outside streets. I can't wait to see what it will all look like with Pete amazing lighting skills. Exciting stuff.
Monday, 24 January 2011
This is the first background coloured and drawn from a layout I had worked on. It's the end of a long opening pan and one of the first things you will see in the animation. I adjusted the colours the Steph had been using slightly to make it more vibrant and more in the style she had originally pictured. I think this has worked quite well and I look forward to doing some more in this style.
I have discovered some new brushes in Photoshop which I used for the out line and shading. They give a more pencilled and hand drawn feel to the image.