These are a few of the tent textures Ive done for Adam. I really like the blue and yellow John Peel design. Although it was very difficult to work out where the stripes needed to go on the UV map.
Tuesday, 30 March 2010
Monday, 29 March 2010
Friday, 19 March 2010
One of my main influences for the design of this planet was from the film Blade Runner, with the grotty looking streets and tall imposing buildings. I also used this film to get ideas for the style of my characters, especially Donna, with her punkish hair and face paint.
I drew several designs for each character, drawing from each, my favourite features and styles. When I had roughly got what I was looking for I refined my designs until I had the character I wanted. I had looked at loads of market stalls and images of Shanghai and also researched Chinese interior design, until I had a clear image of where this animation would be set. Before I started on my final background design I had the exact image in my head planed out. Knowing the exact personalities of my characters helped me to pose them in the final concept work, and also knowing the background helped me to get the setting and lighting how I wanted it.
I created these pieces of 'art' by using acrylic on brown paper. I decided to paint them quite large so I could get the extra detail I needed easily. The painting of the market street is the biggest and is almost 2 metres long.
I wanted to continue the theme of rough, dirtiness and brown paper throughout my bible. I also used a Chinese style font for the titles. I tried to arrange it simply so there wasn't too much on each page to confuse people as they look through it. And I also arranged it in clear sections, showing development to the final concepts.
I think the concepts work the best because I feel you really get a sense of character through their poses. However, they are only two of them and I would of liked to do more of them. One of the major problems I found with this project is that by doing the painting so big, I found it difficult to digitalize them. Taking photos with a digital camera always enhanced the shiny paint and whited out sections so I had to take them at an angle and warp them back into shape on Photoshop.I think if I do another pre-production project I will defiantly try to improve my concept art skills as this is an area I an very interested in. I will also try to consider the practicalities of my medium before I start.
Monday, 15 March 2010
- Paul Wells, Understanding Animation
- Sandra Law, Putting themselves in the pictures
- Stuart Hall, Representation: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices
I think that my confidence in my drawing ability has grown a bit since the beginning of the year. I also think that my idea of how perspective works has gotten better, however I do still need to improve on this quite a bit.
I really enjoy trying to get the lighting right and enjoy working with chalk to create highlights.
Saturday, 13 March 2010
I was worried with this concept design that the characters wouldn't stand out enough against the background, however I think they are easily distinguishable. I also had problems working out the perspective and scale in this one, and think that maybe the characters are slightly too small in comparison to the objects in the background. I think that the fortune teller could be leaning in a bit closer to Donna.
Wednesday, 10 March 2010
These are my painted up versions of my characters. I Have decided to keep the fortune teller as she is and have made the Doctor look slightly older.
This is the fortune tellers room. I decided to use a lot of red and gold in this scene because they are very popular colours in China. I tried to stick to the description of the room in the script, but I added some traditional ornaments. These hint at the fact she is in a higher class from the market folk.
This is a long pan down of an alley with the market down below. I found it difficult deciding how I wanted to paint the pagodas. I settled on just painting the silhouette of each one in different shades of grey. For the objects on the market stalls I wanted bright exotic colours so I used purples, greens and reds.
Tuesday, 9 March 2010
I have been asked to create some textures for some festival bins, Adam gave me a rough idea what he wanted with some research photos and some examples of his own.
These are my first attempts, Adam wanted them a bit more rough looking which I agreed with. So I went back to my designs and used a grunge brush to beat them up a bit.
I now need to design a couple more to make the total different designs up to 8. And also the blue stripy bin I'm not very happy with so I may revisit the design of that one too.