Monday 11 October 2010

The start of something...

Well it has finally arrived... The final year of this degree. It is quite a scary thought that in a few months time we will be dumped in the big wide world to find a job. Enough doom and gloom and down to work.

Dissertation work is going slowly it has to be said. It is difficult slogging it through books when all you want to do is draw. At the moment I am working my way through 'Multiculturalism and the Mouse' by Douglas Brode. It is the first book I have read that is actually in the defence of Disney so is proving an interesting read. I really need to get on with the planning and actually starting my dissertation. I need to bring all these ideas together.

Now for the MAJOR PROJECT!!! I feel it needs a bit of emphasis there... I was going to develop my last pitch project idea further. But I was stood in WHSmiths in Truro with Jenny talking about different books and recommending some to her, when she came up with a brilliant but terrifying idea... Why don't I do an adaptation of that book if I like it so much? This only being a week before we had to discuss our ideas with the class. So that's how I ended up stood in front of the class describing the story as 'About a girl. Who has to find her Dad who's trapped in some bad place somewhere.' Oh dear.

The book I am going to adapt is called Sabriel by Garth Nix. That is the same author of Lord Sunday, the book I did character designs for last term. I emailed Garth Nix about working on an adaptation and he is completely fine about me creating a non-commercial student film. (I will have to talk to Andy about what that means) In fact he said his brother is an animator! Fancy that. Here is something Jonathan Nix has been working on...



Anyway.... Back to what I am doing... I have decided to do a 2D animated trailer for an adaptation of Sabriel. I am going to need LOADS of help with the animating later on so will need a mega team. So if you animators want to work on something with epic explosions and action packedness... Then hopefully I will have something you will like.

I am creating some rough concepts of key moments in the book. It seems a bit backwards to be doing this before doing any character design or choosing a style. But I think it will help me decide what is going to work.

Here is a couple of work in progress images (well one at the moment as the other wont upload):


I am going to go and work on a design for Mogget the cat next.

PS. Anyone interested in working on this or wants to learn more, let me know.

No comments: