Friday 17 October 2008

The Jumping Cube-Man

Well that's another week over and more principles of animation taking up my thoughts. There's been more things to animate, draw and read.

History and theory proved that you should always read your 'reading', thankfully I did else I would have no idea what people were discussing. I even enjoyed finding out about stereotypes. Later on in the lecture things got more twisted when we were shown that genre isn't always a simple classification. Some things fit perfectly, while other don't seem to just have one genre of their own and draw on many different ones. For example a favourite of mine... Star Wars! Western? or Sci-Fi?

The screening this week was one of my favourite animations, 'The Iron Man'. At least when you're at home you can cry. Its not so easy where the lights come on in the lecture theatre and you have to look dry eyed and 'hard'. Bit like "Pfft, its only a robot... that the boy loved... that died to save a town..." *watery eyes*

I really enjoyed 'Animation Principles' this week. Its getting more complicated as you have to think and more elements, but I think I'm keeping up. At the moment it feels like I have to spend a long time thinking this through to work out things like timing. The bouncing ball idea was a tricky one, and I thought I'd messed it up. But as soon as it goes through Stop Motion Pro, It makes you think; "Wow, I did that" and it wasn't half bad.


The next task was to animate the jumping cube man. I found this really hard to get my head around because of the timing and anticipation. I didn't want it to be all so fast that you couldn't work out what is going on, yet I didn't want it to look like Cube-Man was just floating down as light as a feather. I gave up on the Tuesday and finished it today. And I think it looks good, the timings not bad and he spats into the ground quite nicely. Have a peak:

Maya... Maya, Maya, Maya... The bouncing ball theme continues into the arms of this beast. It wasn't as complicated as I first thought it was going to be. As long as you remember to save your key frames at different points on the time scale... its not that bad. Going though the different stages of the animation, and how accurate it looks helped me understand the properties a ball has. However, when the ball needs to 'squash and squish' I think it will become a little more tricky.

Thursday was real life drawing. I decided to go along for the full 3 hours because of how rusty I was last week. (Oh yeah, better do the muscle groups work) I thought it would be really off putting and hard to draw with a naked man stood posing for you, but it wasn't too bad. I just need to work a bit more on proportions and perspective.

Any how, Bye for now!

1 comment:

Andy Wyatt said...

This is looking good and it will a great resource in the future. You are grasping the animation principles well and eventually they will become second nature. Try and be a bit less decriptive in your blog..eg you tend to describe everyday and what you did. I'd rather see you ask yourself questions, so for example upload some work and ask what you would do to make it better the next time, what went well and what didn't go so well.