Friday 31 October 2008

Update on 'Principles of Animation'

I wanted to do an update on the last two Principles of Animation sessions as Ive finally got some time to myself after coming back from Wales.



It feels like there is already so many things to think about when animating these simple things.

1. Timing

2. Squash and Stretch

3. Anticipation

4. Overlap

5. Emotion



I think they're the ones... overlap feels like the hardest to judge. Sometimes its too much, and others its not enough. Also I felt like the overlap in this animation moves too fast, so the character is too spring loaded.





This week in the 2D animation session we were looking at body language and emotions. I could grasp this a bit easier then some of the other principles. The only thing is that I MUST remember not to make the animation too busy, and to try to only have one character moving at a time.


So that's the 2D side. As for the 3D, its more buttons to learn in Maya. It seems like the models (I think) are harder to manipulate then they look. You can make some really weird shapes of you move them around enough, even without trying. It all looks quite good if you can get the timing right, with the squash and stretch in the right place.

I'm not sure about my jumping cube man tho. Its looks OK, but the timing could be snappier.

All in all Im still loving the course and new things just keep coming my way.

No comments: